Tuesday, November 23, 2010

North Korea attacks island in the South; the start of something?


NBC Today (on “Today in 2 Minutes”) reports a skirmish where North Korea attacked a small island (Yeonpyeong) belonging to South Korea. At least one South Korean soldier was killed. American forces were not involved. The South Koreans also maneuver from Baengnyeong Island.

I still remember when war broke out in Korea in 1950, when I was barely old enough to understand what war meant. I even remember a discussion on a porch on grandmother’s house in Ohio with my Mother and a cousin.  It was my first exposure to the idea that men could get drafted to go off and fight to protect others.

It’s not clear if this "incident" will go anywhere, but during the Clinton years there was more concern about future conflict with North Korea than there was with Al Qaeda.

MSN’s Internet headline was “North Korea attacks” as if it were “Mars Attacks”.




Picture: Street in Kipton, Ohio; I spent summers in the house at the end of the street from the late 1940s through the early 1960s. The town seems like a history museum now.

No comments: