Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Smithsonian Folklife honors Basque region of Spain and France


I’ve covered the music and dance portion of the Smithsonian Folklife exhibit today in Washington on Basque culture.

There were exhibits of native sports (rowing and a kind of curling) and crafts with sewing and woodwork.  There is also an odd pre-Christian costumed dance called "joaldunak".



There were photographs of countryside homes with their own communal garden plots, and of one city, whose name I forgot (it may be Getxo).  One of the panels mentioned a past whaling industry.

I visited Bilbao myself from April 29-30, 2001, and Donastia (San Sebastian) on May 1.  I visited the Guggenheim museum on a Sunday afternoon and had a hotel suite for $100 a night, not far from where the ETA was located.   I didn’t see photos of the cities I had visited in the exhibits.

By Andrea Bocchino www.andreabocchino.it - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20762600

No comments: