Saturday, June 27, 2015

Smithsonian Folklife focuses on Peru, a very dramatic place


In 1974, I had planned a trip to South America where I would take the train across the Andes from Lima, and then another train down past Lake Titicaca to Bolivia, which can be an unstable place.
  
I canceled it (without having deposited money) when I went to work for NBC.  I’ve never been there (I did a Labor Day weekend trip to Mexico City instead). 
  
Today, I visited the Smithsonian Folklife Festival for Peru, found the outdoor area mostly closed for threatening weather (lightning on the Mall is dangerous) but found the photography exhibit inside. 
  

There were two short films available, “The Living Road” (“El camino vivo”) and “A Quechua Blessing” (“Una bendicion Quechua”).  The “Road” refers to the network of Inca roads.  But there is earlier history, like Tiahuanaco on Lake Titicaca (12000 feet) that some people think was visitedaby aliens, who taught the people unusual stone construction. 
Tiahuanaco "Gate of the Sun" below -- a welcome mat for Van Daniken's aliens?.
Update: July 2

I visited the outdoor festival yesterday (Wordpress).



Many of the food pictures in the exhibits were taken by Joshua Eli Cogan and Ralph Rinzer of the Smithsonian.

No comments: