Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Mining town in Swedish Arctic, which I have visited once, must move


Here’s a post in a lighter vein, setting aside the horror of the past days.  The town of Kiruna, Sweden, north of the Arctic circle, will have to move so that the iron mine can expand.  The Weather Channel has the story here

I spent a night in the town in August, 1972, and sunrise was about 2 AM.  I had taken a train from Trondheim to Bodo, a bus to Narvik, stayed a night there, and then a train to Kiruna the next day.  I stayed in a simple motel, but ate at a big hotel called the Reso Ferrum.  It’s the only time I have been north of the Arctic Circle were those two nights. 
  

Wikipedia attribution link for aurora picture from Kiruna. By Tamura, released into public domain, Creative Commons 1.0 license. 

No comments: