Monday, April 15, 2013

One detail I noticed about the Boston tragedy today


I was in Washington DC, about to see a movie near GWU, when I learned about the explosions in Boston browsing on my smart phone.

One idea comes to mind.  I recall that on September 12, 2001, I had come back from work to my downtown Minneapolis apartment during the noon hour, and turned on CNN.  Police had cordoned an area in downtown Boston, around Copley Square.  They were particularly concerned with detaining someone in one of the hotels.  I believe that this was almost exactly the same location as today’s tragedy.  I never heard a peep about that arrest again in all the investigations that followed 9/11.

I don't want to get into this much, but there are some meanings that I can read into what has been reported about the nature of the attack and the types of injuries it aimed to cause.  Or perhaps the nature of the attack simply reflects the crudeness of the devices, as well as a blast low to the ground.  It is early to say.

There were additional police on the streets near Foggy Bottom as I went home, but I had no problems at all on the Metro, even got a seat on the Orange Line.
      
I was most recently in downtown Boston in May 2002, to meet an actor friend (who had grown up I Boston) at Legal Seafoods on Prudential Square, not far from this location.  I was also there in 1995. We spent two nights there Memorial Day weekend of 1961 on my Science Honor Society trip. 

I have a friend who went to undergraduate school with me at George Washington University in the 1960s and is now a dermatologist in Boston.  He is probably on the staff at Massachusetts General and may be treating patients from the incident right now.  I may try to catch up later.

Wikipedia attribution link for downtown Boston picture (2007).

Speaking of clues that go nowhere, I recall an oddity about the anthrax incidents.  In 2002 sometime, there were arrests in the Trenton, NJ area related to the attacks that were quickly forgotten.  We all know that eventually, a US Army employee at Ft. Dietrich, . Dr. Ivins, who would take his own life, became the main "suspect".  

No comments: